Overview: Today, we’re going to have a creator roundtable to discuss the African tech ecosystem. We’ll discuss the biggest 2022 moments in Africa Tech & our hopes for the tech ecosystem in 2023. This episode was recorded on Dec 10, 2022
Companies discussed: Flutterwave, FTX, 54gene, Swvl, Chipper Cash, TeamApt (Moniepoint), QED, Binance, Remitly, Brimore, Shoprite, & Jumia
Business concepts discussed: Economic recessions, fundraising, bootstrapping, Cryptocurrency, M&A, Creator monetization & Pan-African Expansion
- (07:35) - Biggest 2022 moments
- (00:53) - Impact of Recession on Africa Tech
- (1:00:05) - What we would like to see in 2023
- (1:28:00) - Creator Q&A
- (2:00:24) - Recommendations & Small Wins
- Recommendation: Knives Out 2 (Movie). Excellent and funny sequel :)
- Win: Opened Fidelity HSA. I had used Vanguard only previously. Fidelity has nice functionality & UX (especially for HSAs)
- Recommendation: Unauthorized Shein boutiques are popping up across Mexico & Co-founding considered harmful
- Win: Seeing Emeka in person
- Recommendation: Magical Text Expander (tool), Friction (article), Afridigest (newsletter)
- Win: Finally meeting & taking a picture with the Oga of Ogas, Bankole. Plus: Afridigest crossing 4500 page followers on LinkedIn — help us on the push to 5000!
- Other content: Why super apps are proliferating across emerging markets, The hierarchy of venture opportunities in emerging markets
- Recommendation: ChatGPT & the Dissect podcast
- Small win: My alma mater the University of Michigan beating our rivals Ohio State in football for the second year in a row. Getting to spend a lot of in-person quality time with people in the African tech ecosystem over the past few weeks in Cape Town
- Recommendation: “Founders Podcast” by David Senra & Michael Jordan The Life - by Roland Lazenby
- Big Win - Getting my 2nd born daughter
- Other content: Amp it Up by Frank Slootman is a great read - Narco Saints on Netflix is superb!
Listeners: We’d love to hear from you. Email email@example.com with feedback!
Founders & Operators: We'd love to hear about what you're working on, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Investors: It would be great to link up with you. Contact us at email@example.com