Overview: Today, we’re going to talk about Gokada - the Nigerian mobility tech platform. We’ll explore the Gokada story across 5 areas:
- African ridesharing context
- Gokada's launch, early history, growth over time & fundraising
- Product & monetization strategy
- Competitive positioning & potential exit options
- Overall outlook
This episode was recorded on Jan 9, 2022.
Companies discussed: Gokada, GoJek, Max.ng, Pathao, Bolt, Uber & Jumia
Business concepts discussed: Mobility, logistics, delivery, bike-sharing & tech regulation
- (01:00) - Gokada context
- (06:50 - Bike-sharing platforms in other markets - GoJek
- (17:44) - Nigeria transportation context
- (48:00) - Gokada founding & early history
- (1:02:00) - Fundraising & growth
- (1:08:00) - Product & monetization strategy
- (1:28:00) - Competition & exit options
- (1:36:13) - Olumide’s overall thoughts & outlook
- (1:44:45) - Bankole’s overall thoughts & outlook
- (1:54:44) - Recommendations & small wins
- Recommendation: How Airlines quietly became banks: Wonderful video that matches a bunch of my interests. Reward programs + corporate finance. Sweet!
- Recommendation: 9 things I learned about Productivity this year (David Cain). Amazing article about productivity and procrastination
- Win: Got Logitech Brio & started using Windows Hello
- Other content: Lagos BRT case study
- Interested in investing in Africa Tech with Olumide: Read about Adamantium fund & contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Founders looking for funding: If you're a B2B founder working on Education, Health, Finance or Food, please contact me for funding at email@example.com
- Recommendations: Moxie Marlinspike My first impressions of web3, Why Is There Confetti In So Many Taser Guns & Come My Way (Wande Coal)
- Win: Saw Kamaru Usman in Lagos!
- Other content: Gokada finds new growth in logistics, Gokada is not okada, History of Gokada, road quality report (WEF) & The Flip Podcast - S2E3: Finding Fit - Opportunities in the Global South
Listeners, Operators & Investors: Email firstname.lastname@example.org, we’d love to partner or get your feedback.
All episodes on Afrobility.com