Overview: Today we’re going to talk about Sports betting & gambling tech in Africa. We share some context about betting in developed and emerging markets, analyze betting tech companies across Africa & end with our overall outlook. This episode was recorded on Jun 13, 2021.
Companies discussed: BetKing, Betway, Bet9ja, BetBonanza, SportPesa, BetFair, Bet365, Flutter entertainment, Paddy Power, Walletec, 22Bet, William Hill & Multichoice
Business concepts discussed: Gambling, Betting, Tech policy, Taxation strategy & Government Tech
- (01:00) - Why we’re talking about sports betting / gambling + how it works
- (11:10) - Betting & Sports gambling in the UK
- (18:20) - Betting & Sports gambling in India
- (21:20) - Context of sports betting in Africa
- (31:57) - Gambling regulation across African countries
- (37:39) - Western Africa betting startups
- (43:32) - Southern Africa betting startups
- (49:40) - Eastern Africa betting startups
- (57:30) - Northern African betting startups
- (1:00:17) - Bankole’s overall thoughts
- (1:10:09) - Olumide’s overall thoughts
- (1:16:05) - Recommendations and small wins
Olumide’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendation: The Ride of a lifetime (by Bob Iger). Loved it. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with autobiography recommendations
- Small win: Las Vegas last weekend (fun getaway) with friends :)
Bankole’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendation: Caught In The Study Web & Feeling by Ladipoe
- Small win: UFC 263. Ask about Izzy. Aya bi Ekun.
- Other content: Nigeria needs to raise tobacco taxes, Collar option strategy & Brandon Moreno UFC 263 Octagon interview
We’d love to hear from you. Please email email@example.com to share feedback or propose topics you’d like to hear.
Join our insider mailing list where we get feedback on new episodes & find all episodes at Afrobility.com