Overview: Today we’re going to talk about African Corporate Venture Capital (CVC) using Softbank as a reference point. We'll talk about Softbank's early history, transition from operational to investment company, and finally dive into the current state and future potential of CVC in Africa. This episode was recorded on Feb 7, 2021
Companies discussed: Softbank, Naspers / Prosus, MTN, Nedbank, Safaricom, Orange, Stripe, Visa, MasterCard, Tencent & Alibaba
Business concepts discussed: Corporate Venture Capital (CVC), M&A strategy, Internal vs External innovation & developing market investment strategy
- (01:05) - Why we’re talking about Corporate Venture Capital
- (03:50) - Why we picked Softbank as a reference point
- (07:30) - Masayoshi Son background Softbank History
- (16:14) - Softbank acquisitions, investments & the Vision Fund
- (28:24) - Southern Africa CVCs - current & potential candidates
- (36:40) - West Africa CVCs - current & potential candidates
- (43:00) - East Africa CVCs - current & potential candidates
- (51:56) - North Africa CVCs - current potential candidates
- (53:40) - Non-African CVCs investing in Africa
- (59:30) - Bankole’s closing thoughts
- (1:11:55) - Olumide’s closing thoughts
- (1:23:38) - Recommendations and small wins
Olumide’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendation: Billionaire's Build (Paul Graham): Wonderful article from PG about entrepreneur billionaires and how to get into YC.
- Recommendation: ESI millionaire interview 220: Great article telling the story of a 57 yr old woman journey to become a millionaire. Very inspirational!
- Recommendation: History of Japan video: Crazy 9 minute video. Fun!
- Small win: 4hr dinner with friends by the ocean. :)
- Other content: Techpoint Visa article & Packy McCormick's wonderful Tencent article (on Not Boring)
- Open question: What African companies would you like to see invest more in startups? And why?
- Special thanks: Ato Bentsi-Enchill
Bankole’s recommendations, small wins & open questions:
- Recommendation: Text Expander
- Small win: Fifa Seasons Division 2 -> 1 promotion
- Other content: MEST Article on MTN investments in African startup ecosystem
- Other content: GSMA report on Emerging Markets Corporate Venture Capital
- Open question: Are you optimistic about the CVC investment in African startup ecosystem, or do you think it’s never going to happen.
We’d love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share feedback or propose topics you’d like to hear.
Join our insider mailing list where we get feedback on new episodes & find all episodes at Afrobility.com